Terms and Conditions of a TTIA Grant
You acknowledge that funding from the Deshpande Center carries with it certain expectations, as outlined below:
Use of Funds
Funds shall be used as described in the proposal.
There is an expectation that faculty funded by the Deshpande Center are keen to see their research make an impact on the marketplace, whether through a start-up or some other license. The Center provides guidance and teambuilding opportunities through its Catalyst (mentor) Program and connections to the entrepreneurial community. It hosts an annual spring IdeaStream conference, an annual fall Innovation Showcase/Open House, occasional workshops, and other events to enhance and showcase innovative work done at MIT. You understand that, if funded by the Center, you and your team will be asked to participate as appropriate. This includes presenting your technology at IdeaStream and staffing a poster both at the Open House and IdeaStream.
Acknowledgement of Deshpande Center Support
PI’s agree to acknowledge the Deshpande Center Technology to Improve Ability Program support in any press releases, media communications, and website of any company that is started based on this technology.
Deshpande Center project teams shall seek to establish IP where appropriate, via disclosures of potentially patentable inventions submitted to the MIT TLO per normal practice; please indicate that Deshpande Center funding was used to support the work. Copies communications should be submitted to the Deshpande Center office in parallel.
The Principal Investigator shall communicate the project’s progress through various means, including the following:
- Initial kick-off meeting
- Participation in the Deshpande Center Open House and IDEASTREAM events
- Regular meetings with Catalyst (mentor) - as appropriate, usually monthly
- Informal notification of all significant milestones achieved
- A midterm and final meeting
- Final written report or presentation to the Deshpande Center
- Patent disclosures - as described above
- Publications - Publication of results from work sponsored by the Center is encouraged, and with appropriate acknowledgement of the Deshpande Center support.
- Media relations - When appropriate, grantees funded by the Center might be asked to interface with the press.
Conflict of Interest
Faculty funded by the Deshpande Center should follow MIT guidelines in Policy and Procedures and be diligent to avoid conflict of interest related to the funding, research, or collaborators on the project.