Since 2002, the Deshpande Center has helped spur the creation of 32 spinout companies. These firms, which have raised over $500 million in capital, are developing and delivering ground-breaking products and services that not only change people’s lives today but have the long-term potential to transform key markets including energy and lighting, health care, medical research, and information technology.
The funded projects highlighted here show the many ways the Deshpande Center helps change the world through technological innovation while also educating research teams on strategies for commercializing their inventions.
Since its inception, the center has:
- Reviewed 600+ grant proposals
- Funded 125+ projects with grants totaling more than $15 million
- Supported the work of 300+ faculty, graduate students and post-doctoral researchers
- Engaged 100+ Catalyst/mentors and other volunteers from the venture and entrepreneurial communities
- Seen nearly 30% of funded projects spin out a new venture.
Beyond these MIT-based accomplishments, the Deshpande Center has exerted a wider influence around the globe. Our leadership team has held hundreds of conversations with institutions and governments interested in emulating MIT’s proven approach to fostering innovation.
Many programs have been modeled on or inspired by the Deshpande Center. They stimulate innovation and move university technologies from the labs to the marketplace.